My Fav Google Ads

How to Succeed in University

If you read my previous blog articles, you would realise that most of my education articles are related to high school studies. Now that I have graduated from university, I feel that I can now share study tips at university. 



Image result for university clipart
A little background on what and where I studied. I started my degree in 2013 at Imperial College London and I studied Earth Science (Geology, Geophysics and Geochemistry). Before that, I did an A-level in Biology, Physics, Chemistry and Math in HELP University, Malaysia. I did not have much Geology background before starting my degree but that was fine as many people did not too. I did a 4-year programme including a 1-year integrated Masters programme and graduated in October 2017, just 2 months ago. 

Here are some study tips I found useful for myself when studying at university, hope you find this beneficial for you:) As always, let me know if you have any questions. I am more than happy to help.



  • Studying at university is very different compared to studying for exams in high school. I felt that in high school, things were more straightforward. You have textbooks and clear sources on what you need to study and where you can find the sources. At university, the syllabus is not based on a single textbook. It is really open-ended and you can get multiple books that provide you with bits and pieces that you need to study for a particular module. Being aware of this at the beginning is helpful so that you are prepared to go out there and look for your own resources. 
  • Some lecturers will be providing powerpoint presentations while some will not. No matter how much and how desperate you are to have hold of the powerpoints, some will not provide it at all with a reason that they want you to focus in class and take notes. Valid point but I do find it useful if they provide powerpoints because then I can focus more on listening and less on writing. In order to manage this, ask your lecturer which books/sources he/she obtains the notes or if there are any recommended books. High chance that your lecturer will be teaching based on a book that he/she trusts the most so try to get hold of that book if you can.

Image result for university clipart
  • If lecture notes are provided, do not rely on it completely 100%. You need to attend lectures or listen to lecture recordings if there are any. This is crucial because lecturers tend to add important notes that are not in the lecture notes. Also, someone might be asking an important question and being there physically will help you understand what other people do not understand. Listening to other people's questions is helpful because there is a high probability that you did not even think of that question and it will enhance understanding.

  • Have group discussions regularly if you can. I personally find myself to be more productive when studying alone but I find group discussion extremely extremely useful and highly recommend it. A comparison on how much time I spend studying alone to studying in a group is 85% studying alone and 15% group discussions. 

  • Organise your time well and make a schedule. People often think this is over-rated but no, I believe this will help you have a sort of guideline in your day on what needs to accomplish. It also acts as a timeline within a longer period of 2 weeks to a month so you have a clear picture of what you need to get done by that time. I do not follow my schedule strictly but I try to do most of it and prioritise.

  • Speaking of prioritising, it is important to know what needs to be done first and what can be put off later. Some things can wait. Some things need to be done urgently. If you have an exam coming soon, prioritise study time but do not overstress. Have some time to relax and unwind.

  • If you are living away from home, build a strong connection with the people around you; your friends, neighbours, course mates, people you meet in societies and whomever you can get along with. University life regardless what major you take is bound to be stressful and a strong support system will help you. Keep in regular contact with family and loved ones and it is fine if you feel demotivated at times but pick yourself back up and stay positive.

  • At university level, I do not find myself sitting down and memorising facts too much. I think this really depends on your major but for me, sitting down and blindly memorising is so boring, I cannot stand it. I find it useful when I do interactive studying. How can you do interactive studying when you are studying alone? Yes it is possible. Interact with yourself. Speak aloud if you need to. Highlight, write short notes. Try to understand it and not just reading it. Anyone can just read a paragraph. Imagine yourself an expert in what you are learning. Read and imagine that you will need to repeat this to someone. You will automatically try to understand what you read because you do not want to embarrass yourself when asked about your major. You are a 'professional' in that major afterall ;) As a matter of fact, you are an expert in that major even if you just started university because imagine other friends and family members who do not study that major. They would have no clue if you asked them about what you study. So, be confident. Chin up :)

  • Speaking of confidence, when you are in a top university, you are bound to meet many people who think so highly of themselves, snobbish or unwilling to share knowledge. This is really annoying. Let them be. If they want to spread negative energy, then they will have to pay for the consequences later. No company will want to hire someone who does not have a good relationship with people. You can never go far if you do not have teamwork or interpersonal skills. Focus on yourself. Let the naysayers and negative people do what suits them. You focus on being a better you and at acing university. It is easy to feel insecure when these people are trying to put you down and showing off that they are better than you but do not take it too seriously. Work even harder and prove them wrong.

  • Involve yourself in beneficial activities outside lectures. These allow your mind to focus on other things and then come back to studying feeling fresh and more motivated. 
  • I can emphathise how important it is to remain focussed. DO whatever you can and need to to remain focussed. Some people cannot focus if they are completely on social media, limit your time being online if not necessary. Some people cannot focus if they are in a loud and busy room. Find a quiet space. Some people need relaxing music to focus or coffee. Work on identifying the factors that keep you focus and remember your end goal; to succeed and do your best at university or that dream job. 

  • Have a burning sensation within you that you want to succeed. Have a clear aim and goal that you want to achieve it. It is ok if you do not achieve it completely but the most important thing is that you tried your very best. 
I wish you all the best with university life and hope it goes well for you :) Please take care and lots of warm wishes from me. 




Comments

Google Ads

Popular posts from this blog

What You Need to Know Before Rebonding Your Hair

SPM Tips: The Right Way To Study Biology, Physics and Chemistry

Last Minute Add Math Tips For SPM

How To Clean White Laptop

My SPM Results

Family Vacation in Kota Kinabalu