My Fav Google Ads

Keeping Yourself Motivated

Dear readers,

Thank you for voting in my recent poll, I have not been writing much but I have been keeping track of the poll votes:)


Since I have posted some recent study tips, I decided to write on the next highest voted topic which is Keeping Motivated.


Have you ever had a long to-do list but not felt like doing any of them? Have you got a submission due but sometimes not in the 'mood' or just not in the correct momentum? Did you ever feel bored of doing the same thing over and over again? Do you often need a tight deadline for you to work hard towards a submission because otherwise you do not have the drive? 


To me, these are all signs that you are a normal person with normal feelings. However, these normal feelings should be overcome in order to achieve certain goals in your life whether they are educational or career goals or even smaller things at home like keeping tidy or managing grocery and laundry etc. 


So how do I keep motivated? Trust me, when I have repetitive and monotonous tasks like studying for exams or working towards a submission, I often feel the same. I have to push myself a little harder to get things done and then reward myself so I am motivated to do more and keep going.


The first key thing to keep yourself motivated is to ask yourself these questions. What is your favaourite food? If you could treat yourself to something nice to eat what would you get? Do you need something new to buy like a pair of shoes or a new bag? What do you wish of having or buying that you have not yet been able to buy? For expensive things like a vacation or so, maybe your motivation would be saving money to buy the item once you have saved enough.


Second, always always always have a to-do list that you check daily. If not then you need to paste sticky notes on your door (that do not fall easily) or sometimes I write on my hand hehe. These lists help you keep track of your daily or hourly goals, what you want to achieve and help you have a direction when you get things accomplished. But often, I know that to start is often the hardest part!


Third, to overcome that hard part of starting, let yourself do anything you wish before starting any work. Limit yourself to an hour or a few minutes of just doing anything like chores etc or browsing the net. Its fine, sometimes the best way to focus on your work is to feel ok I have done all I need to do, now I can start working. So relax and let yourself do whatever that is you need to do but add like a timer or alarm to remind yourself that the time is up and then you need to start working.


Fourth, remember step 1 when you asked yourself those questions? Now is the time to use them. Reward yourself for anything difficult you manage to do. Do not underestimate the work you do, give yourself credit and reward that sheer hard work and long working hours by getting your favourite meal or buying yourself something new.


Fifth, as much as it is good to save money, when I am working hard for a deadline or tired or during exam season, I try not to be too stingy with myself and ensure that I spend that money on eating food outside so I do not need to worry about cooking, take public transport if I am tired and want to reach home soon or give myself a massage treat once a term if I really need it. I ensure the heating is on high and good for me in my room and that I eat all my complete meals and sleep early. To me, its ok to spend that extra money on yourself and living comfortably within means. I know some people save money so they can travel which is nice, my mummy used to do the same when she was in uni in USA (I imagine her young, long hair, super slim and pretty from photos). I love to travel but I only travel if I have extra money after spending money on these things. I am more of a stay-at-home person and if I travel too long even in the UK, I will miss my cosy room in London ;) I know this depends on the person's priority and not many people I meet have same priorities like me but I recently made a close friend that agreed with me on this entirely. 


Finally, take breaks during your work to refreshen yourself and meet people, chat, spread positive energy with hope you will receive positive energy back. Do your hobbies and exercise :) Exercise helps mentally and physically trust me. Remember to reward yourself and then continue working and not stop the cycle there. Hard work will pay off, so stay motivated!


If you forget why you are doing something like working or studying in a particular company or doing a certain job role, remind yourself why you are doing it- Interesting job? Good money? Good experience? Good location? Get to treat yourself and loved ones? Want to buy a house? Want to graduate magna cum laude? Want to repay the kindness of your parents and make them proud? Remind yourself of the purpose you are doing what you are doing today.


Keep it up, 2016 is coming to an end and a fresh new 2017 awaits. Keep motivated! :)


Comments

Google Ads

Popular posts from this blog

What You Need to Know Before Rebonding Your Hair

SPM Tips: The Right Way To Study Biology, Physics and Chemistry

Last Minute Add Math Tips For SPM

Family Vacation in Kota Kinabalu

How To Clean White Laptop

My SPM Results