My Fav Google Ads

How To Know Which Career Suits You The Most


Hello there! I hope everyone is doing great :) Its a Friday night here in London and I know by the time I click 'publish', it will be morning in Malaysia. The time difference is so big *my skype hours are so limited*

I was thinking of something to blog tonight after spending my evening doing practicals. Suddenly I remembered a blog post request, it was like a month ago and I totally forgot because I was reading it in a rush at that time. So I scrolled down my chatbox when I saw this interesting comment from Krease:

How do you determine which job/career suits you the most (if you have no idea whats your passion/ something you're good at?)Ive done numerous personality/career tests unfortunately that doesnt work



Before I answer this question, perhaps you would like to hear my own experience how I started doing the course I am doing today. As I grew up, I had many many dreams and ambitions. As a child, I wanted to be a scientist, then a lawyer, then architect, then doctor, then architect again, then scientist, then engineer and the time my mind decided to be fix on that, I was 17 and just completed SPM.

You guys might be wondering what is my main motivation and what drives me to work hard? In high school, in case you read my post on "SPM Results", you'd see that the paper I hung up my wall said "I want to get all A+, I want to get number 1 in class, etc" but I did not write the main thing behind my head and that was "I want to get a full scholarship." In my mind, if I was able to achieve those dreams of my grades and doing well in class, then I have done my part in achieving my goal itself. Why? Well, its simply because getting good grades is within my power and getting a scholarship is within somebody else's power. Your goals must be within your power and that is the secret of being successful and happy at the same time.

With God's will, He granted me a scholarship and during the day of the award, in the award list, it wrote my full name and next to it was the word: GEOLOGY.

When I saw that, I was surprised and very very surprised, I was like "omg, I applied for Chemical Engineering, is this for real?" I double checked a few times and yes it was no mistake. The sponsor informed my mum and I that they had a lot of chemical engineers and would need more geologists in the future. During that day, I knew God had a message for me but I was yet to discover and research it before I make any conclusions. The sponsor stated that I could switch to any engineering course in the list: Civil, Mechanical, Electrical, Petroleum but no Chemical engineering. After that day, I was researching, calling, speaking to professionals, asking them for a moment of their precious time ( don't feel inferior to speak to professionals, they are happy to speak of their job and achievements and experience, just remember to be formal and respectful at all times) and yes I did speak to a few geologists. I had 1 year to decide, my sponsor was fine with me selecting either one but inside my heart, I knew there was a reason why Geology was next to my name.

After one year of research, I came to the conclusion that it is the right course for me. My main aim of doing well in school all this while was to be granted a scholarship so I had to decide bewteen the two; Geology in UK or  a Medicine course in Malaysia from the goverment (if you read my post in 2011, you would have remembered how I was so confused on which one to choose). I remember how it was one of the most confusing times of life. A decision that would determine the future. If you are experiencing any sort of dilemma, trust me I felt the same thing. Solat istikharah,research and listing down the pros and cons to myself led me to the decision where I am now. 

In the end, both ways will have its pros and cons but you need to stick with your decision after you have thought it thoroughly.

Back to the question, personality tests are not the best ways to decide on which career you should do. For example, I really enjoy writing, dealing with kids, teaching, gardening, playing the piano but the career I am going towards now does not relate much to any of the above; except for gardening maybe hehe.

If you don't know what you are good at, I say "nobody does until you try". Do I know I'll be good at Geology? Nope, I wasn't sure what it was even about in the first place. But when deciding on careers, you look at opportunities for YOU at that moment and decide what's best. For example, you apply for ALL scholarships and all courses you like or would like to indulge in (its ok if its very different courses), then you see which one you get or which opportunities come your way. If you just got your result, then check what courses can you go from there. Dear all, I know some people have been repeating papers quite frequently and sometimes I really wish magic would happen and they would get the result desired. But let's stop and think about it for a second, why is God making you not achieve those grades for so so so many times? If you really worked hard and it is still the same, there must be a message trying to be conveyed to you. Maybe the course that you want to do is not right for you. Maybe there is something better out there which would make you much happier. It may sound harsh at first but let's face it, harsh for a minute but happy for a lifetime :)


So for those out there wondering what course should I do, what am I good at, well relax and try ALL options before you sit back relax and see which one returns to you. it may be something unexpected like for me. Before the day I received the award, never did it cross my mind that I would be doing Geology. Today, I am doing it and I am truly passionate about it. My favourite subject so far is Earth Minerals, even though its the subject with the most homework (and most practical), I feel happy and look forward for every class. Next Friday would be the last Earth Mineral class for this term but I am contented that I am doing what I like. When you do something you like, no matter how hard or how much work you have, it always feels satisfying to accomplish it. Hmm,, but maybe not all the time ;) There are moments when I feel that it is difficult and when those times come, I know I should shift from work to something more relaxing. 

Choosing a career doesn't mean the end of your life if you don't like it as you proceed to higher levels of education. Just get your degree and if you decide to join human resource,consultation, business etc later, nobody is stopping you. Do what makes you happy. My mum knows somebody who took Law in UK and is now happily working as a property agent at home. Earning money without working office hours.

Do I know if Geology suits me in the future? I have no idea because I have only started degree but what I do know is that at the moment, it really does.


All the best in deciding and may the decision you make be the very best.

Have a nice weekend ahead xoxo







Comments

Google Ads

Popular posts from this blog

What You Need to Know Before Rebonding Your Hair

SPM Tips: The Right Way To Study Biology, Physics and Chemistry

Last Minute Add Math Tips For SPM

Family Vacation in Kota Kinabalu

How To Clean White Laptop

My SPM Results