My Fav Google Ads

Shell Gathering at A Five Star Hotel

We have always hoped that Shell would organise a gathering for their scholars so we could meet each other and get updated on latest news. I was informed that they have been planning to have it since 2009 and finally in 2013, the plan became a reality.  

When I got the email from Han earlier this year, I think I must have been one of the first people to reply. As soon as I read the email a few hours after it was sent, I confirmed that I was coming immediately. However, I saw that the date was set during Ramadhan so I suggested they arrange it earlier so it will be more convenient for Muslims, like me. When I got a positive response, I was more sure about coming!

The first thing that made me anxious was getting a roommate. We were told that we would be sharing a room with another scholar, so that meant I would be getting a roommate for the first time. I have never lived in a dormitory or shared a room with someone I didn't know before so this was a new experience for me ;) 







My roommate


Upon reaching the hotel, I went to the reception and they gave me the card for Room 1403. I asked the name of my roommate and if she reached already reached. The receptionist said yes but he stated a guy's name instead (mistakenly mentioned the name of her father). I was so shocked, I was like "What are you serious?!" I have been looking forward to know who was my first roommate and to be informed that it was a guy was definitely a big shock.  He quickly corrected her name and started telling me quick stories about how they got mixed up at times. So up I went with my mum and brother to Level 14. When I was about to turn the doorknob I expected someone to be there because the receptionist said she already checked in but when I entered, complete emptiness and a beautiful room *sigh* I began taking pictures while it was still pretty and undisturbed. A few minutes later, the door clicked and I rushed towards it. She was here. Before she had a chance to open the door, I opened it already for her (guess I was so excited) and said hi! 


We introduced each other, then my mum left and I waited for her to go for dinner at 7pm in Level 2. Dinner was as lovely and as pretty as the rooms ;) There was a prayer break then at 8pm we played BINGO. The game was like this: Find a person in the room that matched the description in the paper and when you get 5 complete rows, then you're the winner. There were 25 boxes and since we were to exchange information, I chose the "Never been to Penang" statement for myself and began introducing myself as "Hi I never been to Penang before, may I have your information please?" And someone pointed out that I sounded proud not being to Penang before. I just wanted to win the rows, still wish to go to Penang one day :) When time was over, they asked if anybody got between 20-25 but I guess nobody did. Then, when they went down to 19, I raised my hand. Yaay I won the game ^^ Then I was called up to the front to let Han check my paper. Suddenly he gave me the microphone, oh gosh I thought. The last time I held one was probably a year ago. But as soon as I held it, I felt comfortable and began speaking like how I did during the 1001 times of being given a mike as school emcee and prefect. I was to address the names I wrote down and the people had to say "Yes". I didn't remember all the faces and names, thankfully time was running out. hehe

After BINGO, we had to swap places and play a Presentation Game. You had to chose a question and do an impromptu at your table. I chose the question "What have you done to prepare yourself for your career." It was called Speed Dating Questions. There were also questions like "Aspirations in next 5 years", " Strength and weaknesses", "Role model", "Why did you choose Oil and Gas Industry?", "Career interest" and many more. 

Next, we had a briefing about the Scholarship Guidebook, then Q&A session. The night ended around 10 but most of us stayed for pictures and for meeting the other scholars personally. I returned to my room after that, excited to use the facilities. During that time, the other scholars actually bumped into Nurul Izzah, and then when i was about to shower in the luxurious bathroom, my friend called and asked if I wanted to join them to a nearby Mamak. My bedtime bells were ringing and after a hot bath, the next thing I remember was waking up in the middle of the night, going back to sleep and hearing my alarm clock ringggg.

The next morning, breakfast at the hotel was scheduled at 8-9 am. Breakfast was as lovely as dinner.




Had breakfast with my roommate, Zafirah. Later Amina and Wan Qin joined us.  Right after that, we went to Level 2 for a Team Building Project. A representative of each table had to go to the front and view the hidden model made of binders. When he returned to the table, the other members had to build it by asking him how it looked like. However, he could only say yes or no.


 Right after that, we had to imagine that each table was given RM400 and the mission was to build the tallest and most stable tower. Using that money, we had to buy the items listed; marshmellows, 10 spaghetti, red, yellow and black binders and binding tape. Each item was RM100. We chose the 2 sets of binders, spaghetti and binding tape. The winning team was Wan Qin's group and Qusai's group built the Leaning Tower of Pisa while a group with all guys built the Eiffel Tower. Our poor tower was too tall that it bended and wasn't stable enough. We tried fixing it but time was up. Here's a picture: 



Pauline

We had a short tea break and my roommate and I returned to our room to pack up because checkout was at 12. When we returned, the business leaders entered the ballroom as well as the NEXUS team (Shell young graduates). They introduced themselves and then each one of them joined at one table and we students had to rotated table everytime the bell rang so we could meet more than 1 business leader/ NEXUS people. I got to listen to Andy and Andrew. 



Finally the last bell rang and it was time to end the session. Before leaving the ballroom, we took last pictures and headed straight to our rooms for check-out. With my luggage, my roommate and I went to have lunch at Level 2. During lunch Mr. Andrews sat at our table so I got to speak more to him about my course and opportunities in the oil and gas industry.


With the Overseas scholars Batch 2011 and Mona

Zafirah and Philip

Mona

Last picture of the day


For scholars that lived more than 10km away from the hotel, there were transport claims till 2pm, then everybody said goodbye and took a final group photo. 

I'm so glad I attended the event because it was definitely a memorable experience.


After the event, I went for my friend's doa selamat and farewell in Puchong. Then mom, dad, brother and me went to Burger King's. Got home, unpacked, read a book to relax and that was my weekend :)

THE END


Comments

  1. Wow best gilaa. Thanks a lot for this entry! Helped me a lot for sure :p ours in Miri will be held from tomorrow~

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Google Ads

Popular posts from this blog

What You Need to Know Before Rebonding Your Hair

SPM Tips: The Right Way To Study Biology, Physics and Chemistry

Last Minute Add Math Tips For SPM

How To Clean White Laptop

My SPM Results

Family Vacation in Kota Kinabalu