My Fav Google Ads

Steps To Prepare For A Scholarship Interview



In response to Cece’s request : “ Can you write a post on how to get a scholarship?”

When I read that statement, I seriously had no idea what to say or how to respond to that question. Getting a scholarship is not like sitting for an exam. When answering a test paper, there are right or wrong answers but interviews do not.

I do have some tips on the best way you can prepare yourself for a scholarship interview. From my experience, interviewers are looking for people who can present themselves well, have a high level of confidence and able to convince them that you are what they are looking for. Having high confidence does not mean you are not scared at all, everybody is scared and being that way gives you pressure to do good and prepare yourself well. Confidence and bravery is overcoming your fears by finding the best solution despite whatever difficult situation you are facing and the ability to deal with pressure by portraying a positive attitude. That is my definition of confidence.

In order to prepare yourself for a scholarship interview:

1. Work on self-confidence
Wait, one minute! Don’t get me wrong. I’m not asking you to push everyone aside after this and feel ultimately superior of yourself in order to get your scholarship. Acting snobbish and I-know-it-all will just make the experienced corporate interviewers dismiss you or cross out your name mentally. You just need to feel good about yourself and say “I can do this.” Speak clearly and articulate your words well. Many capable students do not get pass a prestigious scholarship interview because they are not able to present themselves well through effective communication and lack the ability to demonstrate their wonderful qualities. Interviewers don’t know you. They will only see you during the interview for 1 single time. So you have got to show them everything you’ve got.  

2. GRAAAAADES
No matter how good you are and how well you speak, people want proof on paper. No matter how unfair it seems that’s how this world goes. Just like the saying “no money no talk”, in the academic world its “no grades no speak”. Yup I know its not easy but I’m sure by doing your best, you’ll get pass it eventually. Everybody has their strength and weaknesses so don’t worry too much if you’re not The Top in your class. Many successful people did not even start from the top so always believe that you can achieve anything you dream of.  Just study and put your priorities first. God will reward your hard work in one way or another. 

3. Read up !
It’s a good idea to know the basic things about the company or institution you are applying for the scholarship. They wouldn’t want to offer a bursary to someone who has no interest at all in their organisation right?

4. Practice speaking
Math needs practice, speaking does too. You can just remain silent for 1 entire day then boom! Interview the next day. You might have I-forgot-how-to-speak disorder. And you don’t want that to happen. So if there’s really nobody to speak to, talk to yourself. I like doing that. Sometimes it embarrassing for someone else to hear how much you’re promoting yourself so I just do it with the mirror to myself most of the times. Much more fun like that.

5. Be semi-formal
You don’t want to end up saying “Thank you Your Highness. I am humbly thankful to be here before your today.” *bow* When I get jittery, I start to think back. These interviewers are normal people with normal feelings and they have encountered an interview too at least once in their lives so they must know how it feels. That thought will ease yourself a little and you will discover that its much easier to open up and say your thoughts to the interviewer. Interviewers try their best not to make you shy away. They just want to know more about you so if you make them feel easy to communicate with you, that’s just a plus point!

6. Keep updated on the deadlines and closing dates
I used to register with this website where they would email me any latest scholarship. Its been a long time and if I’m not mistaken its scholarshipmalaysia.com. I heard that a few scholarships are now open for STPM and equivalent so go check it out! :)


Comments

Post a Comment

Google Ads

Popular posts from this blog

What You Need to Know Before Rebonding Your Hair

SPM Tips: The Right Way To Study Biology, Physics and Chemistry

Last Minute Add Math Tips For SPM

How To Clean White Laptop

Family Vacation in Kota Kinabalu

My SPM Results