My Fav Google Ads

Choosing A Scholarship: JPA or Shell Scholarship:)

Dear all, thanks for taking the time to read my blog. Here is a topic that I thought would be interesting as practically EVERYONE is asking me about it. hahaha

Ok so I graduated from school in 2010 and managed to pass my SPM with straight A+. Even before SPM and getting the results, my aim and goal was to achieve a full scholarship and that is why I studied hard and worked persistently throughout my school years. When I was small I asked my mum the importance of studying hard and to get good grades. She explained that it is for later on when I go to university and she told me how expensive the cost was if we were to pay ourselves. I still remember that time although I felt so small and it felt like ages ago. I wanted to achieve a full scholarship and I did not want my parents to have to pay for my higher education as a token of appreciation. At least this is something I can try to do and they can save their money for other important things.

I applied for many scholarships but the main ones were Shell Scholarship and JPA. I managed to get both but the confusion here was that I applied for totally different courses in these two scholarships. They were so different that I actually had to do some research into what exactly I had to do when I started working. It was a very confusing decision to make because different people were telling me different things. In the end, I knew I had to believe in myself and my own decision and also considering opinions of those who are close to me. I knew I couldn't make everyone happy but then at least I tried my best by putting out the pros and cons.

SO let me start and tell you about these two scholarships and what they offered me:

Let's start with SHELL Scholarship because this is the first scholarship I was offered.

There are 2 types of Shell Scholarship: Local and Overseas. For Local, you can take any course you want including Medicine, Pharmacy, anything! Even if it is not related to the company. As for Overseas Scholarship which is awarded to 6 students in Peninsular Malaysia, you must choose courses stated on the list. I am under the Overseas Scholarship so here is the list. :)

· Cambridge – Geoscience, Mechanical, Electrical

· Imperial - Geoscience, Mechanical, Electrical

· Bristol - Geoscience, Mechanical, Civil, Electrical

· Sheffield - Mechanical, Electrical

· Texas A&M - Petroleum

· MIT - Mechanical, Civil, Electrical

As for me, they suggested Geoscience because they are looking to 5 years demand in the future. However, I am free to decide on my course. For now, I have to choose a Pre-U course at my choice of univeristy. They allocate RM 22 000 per annum for any Pre-U course ( A Level, ADTP, etc). For the degree there is no limit on course fees. Since Geoscience is offered in universities in UK, I chose to do my A Level. The choice of university is between USA or UK and Shell wants us to apply to the top univerisities only. After surveying a few unis, I like HELP University. Although they do not have the best facilities, the cost is within budget, good location ( so I don't have to stay in a hostel Yaay!), good lecturers, good standard and they have previous Shell scholars and they are aware of the procedures. There are many other reasons too . Oh and I want to do Edexcel A Level and that is not offered in Sunway or Taylor's. I really like the Shell Scholarship system because they give me the freedom to choose on my future. Where, What Pre-U, What Major, ...

JPA

I applied for Medicine Twinning which means I want to do most of my years in Malaysia. I got Sains Hayat but the procedures are not very clear and thinking about me doing Medicine, I see more cons than the pros. hehe I've discussed with my parents and teachers and friends. My dad says that I must make everything clear before making a decision and I did. I called the JPA officer, talked to them blablabla...and came up with a conclusion that Shell Scholarship is best for me. Maybe by letting go this JPA scholarship, someone out there who did the rayuan can have chance to be a doctor but letting go Shell, there are no reappeals. Hmm,, this is what Puteri agreed with me and Vinosha too but Vinosha told me that make sure that you decide for yourself first before thinking of this. She is definitely true and its wonderful to have people who gives you meaningful advice when you really need it.


Now, finally I can heave a sigh of relief and smile as my decision is made and I am going to HELP UNIVERSITY on JULY 4th for my A Levels. Help , here I come. (Oh shoot why is the name Help. Everyone is making fun of the name muahahah! They say I'll need lotsa help:D)


If you're interested to read the post that I wrote on the day I made this final decision, here you go:

http://littlemissmeencollections.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-love-my-brother-so-much.html

Comments

  1. good luck, girl =)
    nice to hear that you're doing so well!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Google Ads

Popular posts from this blog

What You Need to Know Before Rebonding Your Hair

SPM Tips: The Right Way To Study Biology, Physics and Chemistry

Last Minute Add Math Tips For SPM

Family Vacation in Kota Kinabalu

How To Clean White Laptop

My SPM Results