My Fav Google Ads

What I Do To Improve My English

For most people I know, English is a second language but for me English is very crucial. If I am unable to speak English proficiently, its as bad as not being able to converse with my own father. For those seeking tertiary education in a foreign country or even those who are doing it for the sake of learning, try your best to polish your English skills on a regular basis. 

Here are some things I do to improve my English: 


  • Take up extra English class. For instance, in school I did not take Literature for SPM but I joined the class to widen my depth of knowledge of the language. Not only do I try to speak proficient English, but I also enjoy the beauty of language.
  • Read story books with high standard of English ; Harry Potter series offer a wide range of traditional and modern English as well as interesting words that you may have never heard before. So now you know that I was not only focusing on the story.
  • Write down words that you do not understand immediately while reading a book. I used to carry a dictionary every time I read thick books but I find it very inconvenient so I've opted for a better alternative. My bookmark has space for me to write inside so I just carry a pencil when i read books and just write the page number or the specific word as I read. After I finish the book, then I'll look up those words.
  • Do not mix English with other languages. When I write in my blog, you will rarely find me mixing other languages with English ( the main medium of my blog) unless there are terms not found in English. Even when you speak, try to find the exact word. If you always allow yourself to use any word that pops in your mind, then you are not training yourself to improvise your English.
  • Do not learn English through songs. Learning English by listening to rap might make your English even worse.
  • Watch English movies WITHOUT reading subtitles.
  • Set your phone and facebook to English mode.
  • When you go to the ATM machine, select English.
  • When you call the operator choose to speak in English.
  • If you are shy to speak English in real life, then start to converse in English when writing posts, tweets and comments on your social networks.
  • Listen to online pronunciation of words so you say it right. You can even listen attentively while watching movies to hear how they pronounce specific words.
  • Have at least 1 person whom you speak 100% English, if there is nobody then get a Pen Pal from another country - I did this once.
  • Write and read on benefits of English in the international world- in the working world, English is definitely a plus point and you may even be paid a higher salary.
  • Try to do something related to English on a daily basis- if you stop practicing even for a week, you may forget the basic.
  • Be inspired when you read other people's stories or articles and see how good their English are. When I read Chicken Soup For the Teenage Soul, its amazing to see how very young people are able to express their feelings so well. This makes you motivated to improve.
Always believe that if other people can do it, you can too :)

Comments

Google Ads

Popular posts from this blog

What You Need to Know Before Rebonding Your Hair

SPM Tips: The Right Way To Study Biology, Physics and Chemistry

Last Minute Add Math Tips For SPM

Family Vacation in Kota Kinabalu

How To Clean White Laptop

My SPM Results